The Teaparty reacts
What’s fucked up about this is that it was proven that the IRS gave them unfair attention for being conservative. This actually is bigoted for shame polarized left. For shame.
From The Last Word:
Watch the complete interview with Sen. Elizabeth Warren: http://on.msnbc.com/10HIpcE
srsly this woman for president
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — An offshoot of the Occupy Wall Street movement has bought more than $1 million in old medical bills in this area and freed the debtors from the obligation of paying it off.
The New York-based nonprofit Rolling Jubilee fund says it is in the process of buying almost $12 million in outstanding old bills nationwide for pennies on the dollar in an effort to liberate debtors who often cannot afford to pay. And it intends to buy more as it gets more money from donors.
The Rolling Jubilee Fund, an offshoot of the Occupy Wall Street movement, announced last month that it had bought $1.1 million in medical debt owed locally — including Logsdon’s — and freed the debtors from the obligation to pay it off.
But Logsdon, the first of those debtors to publicly identify herself, said she thought her delinquent $983 bill for back pain care had been paid by Medicare last year. That’s what her doctor told her, she said, after a 2011 dispute during which the bill had gone to a collection agency.
“I am very happy that somebody paid it,” Logsdon said in an interview last week from her home near Chickasaw Park. “In fact, I had quit worrying about it when we didn’t get any more notices that we owed it.”
this project deserves a signal boost
Definition of feminism: “The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.”
I am truly saddened by your complete and utter ignorance of what feminism is. Whoever told you that feminism is about the supremacy of women clearly got it wrong. I suggest you read some Audre Lorde and Adrienne Rich before you discredit the lives and work of amazing women and men who have fought so that you have the ability to have an opinion, however misguided and wrong that opinion might be.
(By the way Audre Lorde and Adrienne Rich are both amazing feminists, women, writers and above all human beings.)
Show me where feminist groups have fought to “the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes”. Show me where feminists have fought for men to be equal to women. Because I can show you where feminist groups have fought hard, and won, to reduce the rights of men and to create gender inequality where there was gender equality already in place.
When feminist groups fought for women’s suffrage, women’s access to higher education, women’s ability to have a bank account, to walk safely in the streets, to sue their rapist, to own property, to have access to contraception, to have maternity leave i could go on and on. If you believe that we had equality when we could not vote, could not go to college, could not own property, could not successfully sue for being raped, did not have access to contraception then your view of the world is very twisted. We don’t need to advocate for men’s rights because they have MORE rights than women. They have more power than women. As of the rights of men you keep referring to, feminist groups were the ones that fought for men’s paternity leave in many european countries. Out of curiosity have you EVER read the authors i pointed out? Have you EVER read any major feminist? You are not making any arguments. Just unsubstantiated claims. If you think that equality existed before feminist i would urge you to imagine your life without all the rights i just described.
What are some rights that men have and women do not?
Honestly asking here, because let me list out rights that men do not have but women do:
In 2008, a law was passed in England and Wales that allowed long-term domestic violence victims who killed their abuser to be charged with the lesser charge of manslaughter, but this only applies to women. Disregarding the fact that women are just as violent in domestic partnerships as well as dismissing the victims in domestic violence that are gay and trans.
In California and Montana, a woman can name any man she likes as the father, he gets a letter in the mail, if he does not prove he isn’t the father within 30 days—(suppose the letter gets lost by the USPS?)—he is now the father and must pay. He cannot contest it. And DNA tests to prove paternity are not considered proof by the courts.
Then there are the Primary Aggressor laws that were put into place due to VAWA, which results in the man being arrested even though 50% of domestic assaults are mutual, that women are 80% more likely to use weapons during domestic assaults, are more likely to kick, bite, slap, throw objects, and hit with their fists during domestic assaults, and that there is no support for the idea that women only use violence to defend themselves from physical violence.
Or the number of women who falsely accuse a man of rape, who would be sent to prison for 10+ years if convicted, and yet the woman only gets fined or a slap on the wrist.
There is also the gender bias in the Probation Departments:
A higher score on the Probation Assessment Tool (PAT) means a recommendation that could lead to eventual dismissal of charges. A lower score means probation or lockup, not to mention the juvenile delinquent tag. [Judge] Hunt claims PAT routinely rewards girls with 14 extra points for gender alone, while boys get 0.
Proof of courtroom bias against men.
Here is a quote from a post I made 3 months ago:
1. Women are treated better in all aspects of the legal system. For instance, women receive lighter sentences and a higher chance of acquittal, simply for being women.
3. Despite domestic violence being equally committed by women, for the most part only male perpetrators are arrested:
5. It is legal to circumcise male babies against their will. In some places, laws have been passed which forbid any attempts to make male circumcision illegal. Meanwhile, female circumcision is completely illegal, even though some types of female circumcision are equivalent in harm to male circumcision, and other types (a symbolic prick to draw blood) are non-harmful.
6. Men comprise 95% of workplace deaths.
7. Men commit suicide at over triple the rate that women do.
8. The vast majority of prisoners are men.
10. Men who are falsely accused of rape can have their names published and their lives ruined even if they are not convicted or charged - their accuser is protected and is likely to face no punishment, or a light one.
11. Reproductive rights. Men have none. Simply read this story.
12. Parental rights. Men have virtually none. See below.
A woman can name any man she likes as the father, he gets a letter in the mail, if he does not prove he isn’t the father within 30 days—(suppose the letter gets lost by the USPS?)—he is now the father and must pay. He cannot contest it.
A man who is raped while unconscious must likewise pay child support.
13. The majority of homeless are men.
14. Despite men’s need being arguably greater than women, government spending to help women is 10 to 100 times greater than that to help men. That figure is unrelated to medical spending.
15. In 2009/2010 it was $1,516,460 toward men and $57,562,373 toward women. In 2010/2011 it was $3,740,800 toward men and $48,331,443 toward women. In 2008/2009 the province dedicated $561,360 toward men’s resources and $98,983,236 toward women’s resources. (figures are for British Columbia, Canada, but representative of Western society).
16. Female-owned businesses get free government money for literally no reason other than being a woman (i.e. all other factors are equal, same size of business, same income, etc. etc. but the owner’s gender is different = money or no money.
17. On some airlines, men were banned from sitting next to kids on airplanes, simply because they were men. Why? Because men are pedophiles, obviously. This ban remains on some airlines, such as Air New Zealand.
19. The DOE policy in practice: Caleb Warner was accused of rape and expelled from the University of North Dakota, then his accuser was charged with filing a false report. He remains expelled as of June 2011.
20. Selective service. Enough said.
There are women’s only colleges and these are protected by federal law. But men’s only colleges are not allowed in the US.
The Federal criminal sentencing guidelines struck down by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2005 required that males and females who commit the same crime and have the same prior criminal record be sentenced equally. Using data obtained from the United States Sentencing
Commission’s records, we examine whether there exists any gender-based bias in criminal
sentencing decisions. We treat months in prison as a censored variable in order to account
for the frequent outcome of no prison time. Additionally, we control for the self-selection of
the defendant into guilty pleas through use of an endogenous switching regression model. A
new decomposition methodology is employed. Our results indicate that women receive more
lenient sentences even after controlling for circumstances such as the severity of the offense
and past criminal history.
Teen boys who commit a crime are 46 times more likely to be charged and arrested than teen girls who commit the exact same crime.
This was fucking beautiful.